Marketing plans come in all shapes and sizes and whether you’re a start-up company, a sole-proprietor or a $15 million established small business, what’s important to note is that you need one. Often when we’re brought in to execute a marketing audit because a company is losing sales, membership or revenue, we find they either have no marketing plan in place or don’t follow the one they have.
Just because you have a marketing plan doesn’t mean doesn’t mean that plans can’t change. New opportunities arise, economies shift, and the timing of new product introductions or service offerings might change. A good marketing plan should be visited quarterly and altered as needed.
If you have a good marketing plan in place that is based on research about your target market(s), industry trends and a competitive analysis, follow it and stay the course and your objectives will be met.
At Small Business Directions, we work with companies to research and write their marketing communications plans. Whether you are in need of an in-depth plan that includes a SWOT analysis or a simple plan that just gives you objectives and tactics, we have years of experience in writing successful plans for all types of companies.
Some of the key steps in working with new clients on their marketing communications plan include the following:
- Distinguish between selling and marketing
- Identify features and benefits of your products/services
- Plan a marketing campaign and the ROI (return on investment) of your marketing activities
- Identify key forms of media that will help you market your business
- Identify elements of effective website design
- Outline your plan of action and budget to build a year-long marketing campaign
In writing the marketing plan, the outline might include some of the following elements:
- Objectives and goals
- Vision or mission statements
- Brand positioning
- Situation Analysis
- Competitive Analysis
- Paths to market – Marketing strategies and tactics
The communications tools are chosen from the following:
- Sales plan
- PR and promotion
- Social media
- Digital marketing, including websites and search engine optimization (SEO)
- Direct mail and email marketing
- Event marketing
- Strategic partners
If you are looking for assistance in writing a marketing communications plan for your company, please contact us today. We can start one from scratch or modify what you already have. Please note that our fees vary depending on how much research is required and what type of plan is needed.
Craig Birch, account executive, Alpha Risk Management says:
I first worked with Lenora in April of 2011 when we hired her to write... (Read More)